About this page

Learn about the necessary licences for operating a mobile bar in the UK and ensure your event complies with local regulations.

Navigating UK Licences for Your Mobile Bar Hire When it comes to organising an event that sparkles as much as the glasses you’ll be clinking, ensuring you have the right licences for your mobile bar hire is as essential as the bubbly on ice. At Party Central, we're here to guide you through the labyrinth of UK licensing requirements, making sure your celebration flows as smoothly as a perfectly poured pint.

Understanding Licensing Requirements

Before you start planning your mobile bar, you need to familiarise yourself with the legalities. The UK takes alcohol licensing seriously, and for a good reason. These regulations are in place to ensure safety and order at your event.

Types of Licences

If your event is in a location that already has a Premises Licence, you’re in luck. This often covers the sale of alcohol, meaning your mobile bar may be able to operate under this existing licence.

However, for venues without this licence, you’ll need a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). This is a must-have for selling alcohol or providing entertainment in a temporary space. It’s a straightforward form, but it's essential to get it right.

Applying for a Temporary Event Notice

Applying for a TEN is relatively simple. You must submit your application to your local council at least 10 working days before your event. Keep in mind there’s a limit on the number of attendees and days your event can run under a single TEN.

Step-by-Step Process

Let’s break down the process of securing your mobile bar hire’s licence into manageable steps:

  1. Determine whether you need a Premises Licence or a Temporary Event Notice.
  2. Check the limitations of these licences regarding the size and duration of your event.
  3. Apply for the appropriate licence well in advance of your event.
  4. Ensure you and your staff are aware of the conditions of the licence, including any restrictions on serving times or noise levels.

Common Questions Answered

You might have a few questions, and we’ve got the answers:

  • How many TENs can I apply for? You can apply for up to five TENs per year as a personal licence holder.
  • How long does a TEN last? A TEN can cover an event that lasts up to 168 hours.
  • Can I serve alcohol without a TEN? No, selling alcohol without the proper licence is against the law.

Your Responsibilities

  • Ensure that everyone serving alcohol is trained in responsible service.
  • Have a system in place to prevent alcohol sales to minors.
  • Be aware of and comply with all the terms of your licence.

Table of Costs

Understanding the costs involved with licensing is crucial for budgeting your event:

Licensing Fees Overview
Type of Licence Cost
Premises Licence Varies depending on rateable value
Temporary Event Notice £21 per notice

Avoiding Pitfalls

Common mistakes can lead to last-minute rushes or even event cancellations:

  • Don’t wait until the last minute to apply for your licence.
  • Check and double-check the specific requirements of your event’s location.
  • Keep a copy of your licence on-site during the event.

Remember, at Party Central, we’re committed to ensuring that your event is a resounding success. By demystifying the complexities of UK licences for your mobile bar hire, we aim to provide you with a clear path to celebration, free from any legal hiccups. Cheers to your upcoming event, and rest assured that with the right preparation, it will be one for the books.

For more guidance or to explore our services, please visit our services section or get in touch with us directly for personal assistance.

Focused on UK travel, Gareth Evans writes comprehensive guides to British destinations, from historic sites to modern attractions.

Stay In Touch

Get instant prices in UK Now

Compare prices for Entertainment Hire in UK now